University Career Services - Employer Recruitment Policy
Thank you for choosing to recruit from Longwood University, to expedite the process of reaching our students we have developed the following guidelines concerning on-campus interviews and other recruiting opportunities. We expect employers to comply with the guidelines set forth in the following guide as well as the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).
Create an Account
The first step in recruiting at Longwood University is to register in Handshake, our free online job and internship database. To register, please go to Handshake and click on "create an account."
After your registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation email with your username and password within one to three business days.
Once your account is approved, you may create a job posting by following the steps below: Log in to Handshake and click on "Jobs", select "Add New", complete, and submit the request; your position will be approved by a staff member within one to three business days.
You are eligible to post a position and recruit at Longwood University if you are recruiting for a legitimate full-time, part-time, internship, or research opportunity.
Employers may NOT:
- Ask for fees to pay for training, applications, or other job-related expenses (excluding federal and state licensing requirements such as real estate, securities, etc.).
- Ask a student intern to pay any fee except for housing or tuition.
- Post positions that are solely commission based, for personal services (ie: nanny, babysitter, in-home caregiver), or positions that are short-term project based.
Third party agencies MUST:
- Disclose their relationship with their client.
- Make clear that the client is paying for any fees assessed by the Third party agency.
- Ensure that their client does not pass along a student's resume to another party without the student's consent.
On-Campus Interviewing Program:
Career Services provides employers the opportunity to come to campus to interview candidates selected through the Handshake system. At Longwood University, we use a “pre-select” system in which you choose candidates to interview from among those students who apply to your job posting through Handshake. You may interview for multiple positions on the same day.
- Fall interview schedules start at the end of September and reservations begin in June.
- Spring interview schedules start in late February and reservations begin in December.
- For best results, we should receive your On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) request through Handshake at least four weeks prior to your planned interview date.
- For any questions or troubleshooting needs please contact Katie Trammell, Employer Relations Coordinator, at 434-395-2066 or email@example.com.
Steps to schedule your on-campus interviews:
- First-time Handshake users: In order to gain access to Handshake and request an on-campus interview date, you must create an account. After your registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation email with your username and password within one to three business days. Once you receive your username and password, you can log in to your account, go to "Shortcuts" and select "Create New Schedule Request."
- Already registered users:
- To schedule your on-campus interview date, log in to Handshake and under "Shortcuts" select "Create New Schedule Request."
- You will determine the number and length of interview schedules when completing the on-campus interview requests. Interviews typically begin at 9:00am and can go until 4:30pm; all interviews must be completed by 4:45pm. Employers have the option to decide whether interview lengths will be 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes, however all interview slots must be the same timeframe.
- Generally two weeks before your interview dates, we will set a deadline for students to apply. Application deadlines for students are always on a Wednesday, and then the employer has from Thursday-Sunday to view applicants and update their interview status. Employers will receive an automated email from the system prompting you through the selection process. Please make sure our email messages are not sent to your junk mail folder. Employers will update the interview status of each applicant as: Invited, Alternate, Not Invited. Students who accept your invitation will set up a time on your scheduled interview date by selecting an available interview timeslot through HireMason.
- During the time students are submitting resumes, you be able to view the submissions and begin narrowing down applicants. This prescreening of applicant resumes will be available before the official employer selection time period begins, however, you must still wait until the preselect time period begins before making official interview selections.
Interview Day Logistics:
- All interviews are conducted in the University Career Services office Lancaster G08. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your first interview. Our office hours are 8:15am – 5:00pm.
- Parking is available and we will send you detailed instructions.
- Upon arrival you will receive a packet of information that includes your schedule for the day, copies of the student resumes, and our wireless internet access code.
- A copy of the interview schedule will be posted at the front of our office where students can sign in. Students will check in and be seated in a waiting area near the interview rooms.
- NOTE: If Longwood University has a delayed opening or is closed due to inclement weather on the day of your on-campus interview, the announcement will be made on the University switchboard at 434-395-2000, as well as the University’s home page at http://www.longwood.edu/. We encourage you to use these resources to gain updates related to inclement weather.
- Delayed Openings Should the University delay class start time, on-campus interviews will delay accordingly, e.g. If classes are delayed until 10am, interviews scheduled prior to 10am will be cancelled and the normal schedule will resume at 10am.
- Closings If the University should close, all scheduled on-campus interviews will be canceled, and we will work with you to reschedule your visit and make appropriate accommodations.
University Career Services hosts a Career Expo twice a year, once in October and again in February. We also host an Education Recruitment Day fair in March or April for those interested in recruiting future educators or school counselors. We do host other fairs throughout the year and our fairs are a great way to enhance your brand on campus and build a relationship with students. Please contact Katie Brankley, Employer Relations Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Mock Interview Days:
Mock Interview Days are an opportunity for Longwood University students to practice their interviewing skills. Employers assist students by providing constructive feedback to students during these mock interviews. You may now register for the event in Handshake.
Panels and Workshops:
We are always looking for employers to sit in on major/industry specific panels or co-facilitate a student workshops with our staff. If you are interested in participating, please contact Ashley Crute at email@example.com or 434-395-2064.
Create Your Own Event:
The more an employer is on campus; the easier it is to recruit our students. University Career Services will work with you to create a customized event such as sponsoring an ice cream social, hosting on-campus office hours, or brown bag lunch to name a few ideas. The possibilities are endless and we would love to accommodate your needs. Please contact Katie Trammell, firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your customized event.
Lancer Connect Panel and Networking Series: This event is designed to provide Longwood students with specific information about their career fields of choice. The event begins with a Question and Answer Panel and ends with networking among students, alumni, and employers.
Lancer Connect Online: We are now creating events and developing current students and alumni programming using the Brazen Platform.
We are happy to connect your organization with the appropriate faculty or staff to provide you the opportunity to present in our academic courses. Please contact our office for further questions or concerns at 434-395-2063.